All new services in The Bill Holmes Tower at CHOC Hospital are set to open by April 2013. The state-of-the-art tower features patient care services provided within a completely pediatric-focused environment, including Orange County’s only pediatric emergency department, operating rooms, two cardiac catheterization labs, radiology, laboratory and pathology services. Activation of new services and programs is underway, including the following updates:
Outpatient Surgery and Minor Procedures opened on March 4th on the 3rd floor of The Bill Holmes Tower. Please note that Surgical Services on the 3rd floor is a restricted area.
The SSU at St. Joseph Hospital will remain open until April 1st.
Clinical Laboratory has opened in the Lower Level of the Holmes Tower. Hours are Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Inpatient Lab hours are 24/7.
Radiology has opened on the first floor of the Holmes Tower. Inpatient hours are below. Outpatient hours are Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. St. Joseph Radiology will continue to be used for the following services: PET SCAN, Interventional Radiology (IR), Nuclear Medicine, and Dexa.
For assistance with inpatients, please use the following extensions:
Ultrasound – ext. 16156 (24/7 coverage)
X-ray – ext. 16147 (24/7 coverage)
CT – ext. 16143 (24/7 coverage)
MRI – ext. 16149 (M-F, 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Sat. and Sun., on call)
Oncology/Hematology Unit and OICU, previously located on the 3rd floor of the North Tower, have merged and moved to the 5th floor of the Holmes Tower.
The former OICU on CHOC North 3 West, currently under renovation, will become a second PACU.
Surgical Unit, previously located on 5 East of the North Tower, has moved to 3 East of the North Tower. The unit will be adjacent to the new Surgical Services on the 3rd floor of the Holmes Tower.
5 East has been reconfigured to accommodate extra beds for Oncology patients, when the unit is past capacity. The Neuroscience Unit will remain in 5 West.
Second Floor Family Services have opened. This includes:
• Café (hours: 6:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. daily)
• Coffee kiosk (hours: 6 a.m.- 6 p.m. daily)
• Family Resource Center (hours: 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.-Fri.)
• Gift Shop (hours: 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sat. and Sun.)
• Outdoor garden
• Associate pedestrian bridge, which connects from the 9-story Associate parking lot into the 2nd floor of the Holmes Tower.
• Pedestrian bridge, which connects from the 2nd floor of the Patient and Visitor Parking Structure into the 2nd floor of the Holmes Tower.
• Physician Lounge/Dining (hours: Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. – 10 a.m. Mon.-Fri.; Lunch: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Mon.-Fri.; Grab & Go Menu Items: Evenings and Weekends.
• Prayer and Meditation Center
• Seacrest Studios (soft opening)
Please note some services on the 2nd floor are not yet open, including the Pre-teen and Teen Rooms, Playground and Turtle Talk.
In addition, CHOC Administration, previously located on the 3rd floor of the CHOC Commerce Building, moved to the 2nd Floor of the Holmes Tower. Child Life offices are also located on this floor.
Please see planned opening schedule for additional new services below:
Note: These dates are subject to change.
– Inpatient Surgery opens: March 11, 2013
– Heart Services open: March 11, 2013
– Cath Labs open: March 20, 2013
– Emergency Department opens: March 26, 2013
Please stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks, and please share this information with your colleagues.
For more information on CHOC’s expansion, including campus maps to the new front door, please click here: http://www.choc.org/expansion/index.cfm?id=P00218